Friday, February 08, 2008

Glenn Sturman

I have just come back from Central Montgomery Hospital in PA and am extremely saddened to inform you that Glenn Sturman has lost his fight with cancer this morning at the age of 25. He leaves behind his wife of a year and a half, Faith; as well as his parents brother and inlaws.

In Isaiah 61, God says that He will comfort all who morn and provide for those who grieve. He will bestow on them a crown of Beauty instead of ashes; the oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

Our prayers need to be lifted for Faith and Glenn's family (Dad, Mom & brother) who are struggling in the heaviness of this news. I got to share with Glenn's parents from Psalm 22, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? 2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent. 3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. 4 In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. 5 They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed."

While it may seem that God did not hear our prayers He did! And He heard Glenn's prayers. Last night, Glenn told Faith that He believed and trusted in God. Psalm 22:8 "He trusts in the Lord; let the Lord rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him." God heals completely !!!!

I remember praying with Glenn in the hospital and for the first time he responded at the end of my prayer with a hearty AMEN. Faith, who exemplified the unconditional love of Jesus, was an inspiration and rock to Glenn and his family. She had asked Glenn to think about praying for himself as it seemed everyone else was praying for him. He prayed with her!

What faith it must have taken for Glenn to stand in our congregation and come and get anointed with oil per James 5 (even while he had no strength). Glenn loved our church and even invited his friends who were moving to the area.

While my heart is heavy, my spirit is being renewed with hope. 'Why does bad things happen to good people' is not the correct question to ask. the correct question to ask is...Who is your Lord, when bad things happen to good people.

Glenn really appreciated and coveted your prayers. They made a large impact on him. Please continue to pray for the family and let us be prepared to act in response to any need that is presented as the body of Christ. I will let you know what needs to be done in the hours and days ahead.

1 comment:

Doug Gammage said...

Ed, you are there for a reason. God is using you in a way that many cannot fathom. God Bless You as He continues to use you.